Job and Internship Opportunities
Volunteer Manager - New Position, Full-Time
Lake County, Illinois is graced with the state’s largest concentration of rare species and glacial lakes. This landscape’s rich and diverse natural heritage enriches lives and is a valuable asset that needs care. Conserve Lake County is the nonprofit land conservancy helping to strengthen this landscape by informing and involving the community. Job Description
Submit cover letter and resume by 5 p.m. November 13, 2014 to:
We seek an individual with passion to improve the health of these lands and waters and who is excited by the challenge of developing and implementing a volunteer program that will add new dimension and depth to our organization while at the same time providing a highly meaningful experience to the people who give their time. Interested candidates must want to build something of lasting excellence. Located in the heart of beautiful Almond Marsh in central Lake County, we have the space and opportunity to build a volunteer program that meets the needs of our county’s residents and ecosystems. We offer financial stability and a culture of caring to the successful candidate.
Reports to: President
Employment Type: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Schedule: Schedule is flexible; must be available to work some evenings and weekends
- Develop and implement strategies for volunteer recruitment, application, interview, placement, tracking and orientation.
- With staff and board members, identify key volunteer opportunities and needs, and create volunteer job descriptions, training opportunities and support materials.
- Sample volunteer roles include:
- Office tasks such as reception, scheduling and mailings.
- Fundraising tasks such as event planning.
- Conservation tasks such as invasive species control and conservation easement monitoring.
- Native plant sale tasks such as plant care and sales.
- Incorporate current volunteers into structure of new program in appropriate ways, seeking their input and support as new program is developed.
- Create and manage volunteer recognition program.
- Create and manage opportunities for volunteers to provide input and feedback to strengthen the program.
- Provide technical training and leadership to volunteers on land conservation projects.
- Provide staff support as needed for our major events.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in natural resource management, environmental science or related field.
- Experience in volunteer management and event planning.
- Strong oral communication and writing skills.
- Proficiency with technology including Microsoft products and social media.
- Stellar organizational and time management skills; thoroughness and attention to details.
- Demonstrated reliability, with ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Ability to be tactful and diplomatic and to form strong, positive working relationships with others; ability to work effectively with volunteers and acknowledge their work.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
Value-Added Skills that are a Plus
- Marketing or graphic design
- Retail management
- Horticulture and/or landscape design
- Fundraising and/or membership development
- Passionate and knowledgeable about natural resource conservation. Understanding of and commitment to Conserve Lake County's conservation goals and priorities.
- Outgoing personality that is friendly, considerate, thoughtful, compassionate and professional.
- Ability to successfully connect and navigate in a variety of social settings, speak to a large group, and handle on-on-one conversations with ease.
- High-energy, positive "can-do" attitude; flexibility; teamwork and a high degree of initiative required.
Physical Requirements and Demands
- Ability to traverse uneven terrain in a wide variety of weather conditions
- Ability to use computers, cell phones and general office equipment and motor vehicle
- Ability to work occasional extended hours
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 30 pounds