Job and Internship Opportunities
Director of Partnerships and Communication
Location: Conserve Lake County – Grayslake, Illinois office
FLSA Status: Exempt, Salaried
Employment Status: Regular
Revision Date: August 20, 2015
Conserve Lake County is the only non-profit, membership-based conservation organization working countywide in Lake County, Illinois. We are a strategic, collaborative and service-oriented organization with a strong community of members, alliances and friends.
The mission of Conserve Lake County is to preserve open land, restore natural areas, and inspire a commitment to land conservation for the benefit of people and wildlife in Lake County. Since 1995, we have served people who care about nature and want to protect and restore the land and water around us. Today, we help people preserve Lake County's precious landscapes. Together, we’re improving the health of the land with stewardship projects that bring vitality back to prairies, wetlands, and woodlands. We inspire people to care about conservation and invite them to join us to plan and advocate for nature’s future in Lake County. And because farming practices affect the health of our ecosystems, we’re helping to increase local food production and expand sustainable agriculture.
Reporting to and working with the Executive Director, The Director of Partnerships and Communication is responsible for creating and sustaining the relationships that make up the Conserve Lake County community. This individual will also lead Conserve Lake County’s communication, marketing and branding efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Create and Sustain Strategic Alliances that Advance Conservation in Lake County
- Cultivate individual, corporate, governmental and foundation donors
- Write grants for project oriented work and essential infrastructure
- Oversee grant-related correspondence and reports
- Maintain database, provide reports, track "move management"
- Coordinate fundraising activities of all staff and board
- Provide donor stewardship
2. Increase Membership
- Increase member retention to achieve the annual retention goal
- Cultivate new memberships to meet annual new member goal
- Maintain database, provide reports
- Oversee a comprehensive, orchestrated member communications program
3. Increase the Impact of Communications and Marketing
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across Conserve Lake County's discreet audiences in collaboration with the team and constituents
- Provide consistent branding and messaging and coordinated distribution of messages
- Lead media relations and news releases
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and website
- Develop annual report
- Develop marketing materials
- Bachelor's degree in a related field and a minimum five-year's relevant work experience.
- Proven fund raising success ($400,000 or more annually for multiple years) among corporate, foundation, government and individual sources.
- Working knowledge of donor management database systems (Raiser's Edge, Sales Force, Donor Perfect, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to build and sustain partnerships with other people and organizations.
- Passion for conservation and general understanding of land management and associated issues.
- Experience in communications that includes a blend of advocacy, marketing and media relations.
- Self-awareness – ability to see self in action and self- adjust for best performance
- Self-accountable, motivated, energetic and enthusiastic
- Fun to be around – you attract people to you
- Able to multi-task and shift gears easily
- Effective communications skills – verbal, non-verbal including in writing (email correspondence, PowerPoint, presence at a gathering of conservation leaders
- Team player
- Ability to recognize opportunities and make timely connections
- Listening skill that differentiates you from others that our potential alliance partners meet with
- Consulting skill to co-design compensated work we can do with alliance partners that helps them act on their commitment to nature vs. asking them for money (traditional fundraising) to fund our work.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume and cover letter to:
Dave Neu, Executive Director
Conserve Lake County
32492 N. Almond Road
Grayslake, IL 60030
- Volunteers are always welcome! Volunteer